Dose Batter

Doses that my mom makes are the best that Shri has eaten so far. Many in the family keep pestering my mom to give them the dose batter. Mom and I found it strange that people had to really ask for such a simple recipe. The first time I ate the dose that my mother in law made, I knew I had to post this. (That really is only to add some humor to this blog. My mother in law is also a very good cook. I am planning to post her recipe too).
I have one request to all Indians in Bengaluru, please call dose a dose (ದೋಸೆ / दोसे) and not Dosa (ಡೋಸ/ डोसा). Even in Tamil it is (ದೊಸೈ / दोसेई)

I have made some changes to the portion and added a few tips. 

Rice - 2 cups
Urad Daal - 1/2 cup (if you are using a wet grinder) 2/3 cup (if you are using a mixie)
Methi (Fenugreeek seeds) -  1 tsp (10-15 grains as per my mother)
Beaten Rice (Avalakki/Poha)- 1 cup
Salt to taste

Soak urad daal and methi seeds together for about 2 -3 hours. Soak rice and beaten rice separately for about 1 hour. Grind urad and methi coarsely. Then add rice and beaten rice and grind until fine paste. Add salt to taste. Let this ferment overnight. Dose batter is ready.

Amma's Tips:
1. Fermenting Process:  (for Dose, idli, set dose, etc)
        There are few ways to speed up the fermenting process especially during winters.
                 a. Keep the Dose batter in the cooker that has hot water and close the lid.
                 b. Preheat Microwave for a minute and keep the dose batter in the fridge.
         During summers when the batter ferments real quick, you could
                 a. Keep the batter in a bowl of cold water overnight.
                 b. Add salt only when you are ready to make dose.

2. Instead of letting it to ferment overnight, you could add yeast. I have never done that as I have been suggested that it doesn't taste the same.

3. Substitute Beaten Rice with Popped rice (Aralu/Poddolu) or even bhel (Mandakki/kadlepuri/kurlu).
 
Makes: about 25 doses
Goes well with: Aloo sabji or Chutney
Skill Level: Easy 

Comments

Popular Posts